To protect employees’ personal information, Imua Physical Therapy prohibits the use of employees’ Social Security numbers for identification purposes, except as allowed by law. Imua Physical Therapy will not:
* Publicly post or publicly display in any manner an employee’s Social Security number. “Publicly post” or “publicly display” means to intentionally communicate or otherwise make available to the general public.
* Print an employee’s Social Security number on any card required for the employee to access products or services provided by Imua Physical Therapy.
* Require an employee to transmit his or her Social Security number over the Internet, unless the connection is secure or the Social Security number is encrypted.
* Require an employee to use his or her Social Security number to access an Internet web site, unless a password or unique personal identification number or other authentication device is also required to access the Internet web site.
* Print an employee’s Social Security number on any materials that are mailed to the employee, unless state or federal law requires the Social Security number to be on the document to be mailed.
However, Social Security numbers may be included in applications and forms sent by mail, including documents sent as part of an application or enrollment process; or to establish, amend, or terminate an account, contract, or policy; or to confirm the accuracy of the Social Security number.
In instances where Imua Physical Therapy previously used an employee’s Social Security number in a manner inconsistent with this policy, it will continue using that employee’s Social Security number in that manner, if all of the following conditions are met:
* The use of the Social Security number is continuous. If the use is stopped for any reason, the conditions listed above will apply.
* The employee is provided an annual disclosure that informs the employee that he or she has the right to stop the use of his or her Social Security number in a manner prohibited by those conditions listed above.
A written request by an employee to stop the use of his or her Social Security number in a prohibited manner will be implemented within 30 days of the receipt of the request. There will be no fee or charge for implementing the request.
Imua Physical Therapy will not deny services to an employee because the employee makes a written request to stop the use of his or her Social Security number.
Imua Physical Therapy will continue to collect, use, or release Social Security numbers as required by state or federal law, and may use Social Security numbers for internal verification or administrative purposes.
Employees who have questions about this policy or who feel that their Social Security number has been used inappropriately by Imua Physical Therapy should contact the President.
Policy No. 216 Issued 10/21/2012 Applicable 11/4/2012